Friday, January 23, 2009

more . . . . SOON!

One of the strengths of BYU-I collage wards is that most people are all in similar situations: young families, balancing school and home life, new moms and babies, so it's really easy to share ideas that are working for you, your family and get ideas and feed back from others.
I've had a great time discussing personal goals with good friends AND I've gotten some great ideas and inspiration back. So I'd like to share a few:
One of my new years resolutions was to incorporate more healthy meal planning into our busy schedule. More specifically - I was (and am) interested in acquainting my cooking skills with a wider variety of grains and nutrient dense foods that are kid friendly. Gunner's always been a little bit of a picky eater and that can be a struggle. But we taught him early on that he needs to take a bite or two. It's been successful for the most part. And with the new things I've been trying, hopefully we can tease him out of his pancake, yogurt, and corn dog preferences permanently . . . we'll see; I can dream can't I?!
When I was in nursing school one of the classes I had to take was a nutrition course - part of our final project included doing a self evaluation of our eating habits and caloric intake. I REALLY enjoyed it! It was like a strategy game: planning how to spend your calories, getting your veggies and essential vitamins in for the day, etc. . . . My dad was so proud!
Anyways, One of my good friends is an avid calorie counter; well, we got to talking and I was thinking about my nutrition class and I decided that I wanted to count veggies and calories again. It's been really fun! I've found some great recipes and I feel like I'm helping my kids appreciate healthy foods and a wider variety. AND I feel a lot better, more energy, my skin is clearer, I feel full after I eat and I sleep better. So here are a few of my finds from friends and from my own research.

1. I'm in LOVE with Quinoa (I'm pretty sure that you say it keen-wha) - it's a pseudo cereal grown in South America. You cook it just like rice and it is considered a complete protein because of the many amino acids it contains. In an article I read, quinoa was listed as one of the ten perfect foods.

2. I've tried several whole wheat bread recipes and my cousin's (Trachelle) has been the winner so far. If you click on the link to high heels and a sippy cup at the right you'll find it. I think it's a winner!

3. I've perfected a whole wheat, oatmeal, walnut (or pecans), carob-chip cookie that my boys adore and each 2"-2.5" cookie is 110 calories (98 without the walnuts). I use real vanilla and I think I'm in chewy-carob heaven when I eat them! I will dedicate my next post to this recipe!

4. Sweet potatoes - Johnny doesn't seem to develop a reaction to these (he's allergic to potatoes). They were also mentioned as a perfect food due to the high amount of beta carotene they contain.

Anyways, I've really enjoyed myself! I love reading about people's goals and New Years resolutions. I enjoy goal-oriented activities. So I hope that this can be encouraging, like yours have been for me. AND I hope that in spite of discouragement or unkindness (either from others or your own moments of self-doubt) that your New Year's resolutions are going well!

2 comments:

Hilarie* said...

Well best of luck, it sounds like you'll be able to meet your fitness goals with your new ideas, new recipes, and the swim team!!! That is AWESOME you and Starr are swimming. That sounds like so much fun! Best of luck!

Nikki Nichols said...

Hey it was fun seeing you at the gym last night!!!